Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Lazy Rainy Saturday

One of my favorite things are lazy rainy Saturdays. Rain always seems to be cleansing, refreshing, and relaxing. It's like a Spa day for the soul. I find myself wanting to curl with a good book, and of course, a cup of coffee. And thus, this morning shortly after waking and hearing the light patter of rain, I started a strong pot of my favorite hazelnut creme coffee. As it brewed, I set up a chair and a stool on my covered balcony. I shrugged on a hooded sweatshirt and brought out a small blanket for warmth. Out on the balcony I went with a cup of Joe in one hand, and my latest read ("The Friday Night Knitting Club") in my other hand.


I camped out on the balcony, quietly reading as the sound of rain pattered on all around me. Periodically, cars would pull up below and I would watch people bolt for the doors. I always wonder why people run in the rain? Yes, you get wet. But it's not as though by running you are saving yourself from getting any less wet. There's also the possibility of getting even more wet if you slip and fall. It's not as though we are the "Wicked Witch of the West" and live in total fear that we are going to melt. Well, at least not most of us.

I always liked the rain for the most part. Though, it doesn't mesh well with my preference to be out cycling during this time of year. I have had to cancel a few rides this last two weeks due to all of the rain that we've had here. But rainy days have always held fond memories for me. I've had my days where I've donned my galoshes with raincoat, and played the BIG kid splashing my way through the puddles. I remember as a kid, we would jump into the car with Dad and scout out large puddles on the street. "There's one!" We would thrill as Dad would step on the gas and swerve through the puddle. We would shout with excitement and watch with animation as the spray would build higher and further out from the curb areas. Later as the rain died down we would go in search of night crawlers.

Here I find myself on my balcony, quietly reading as a symphony of light rain patters and birds chirp. AND what is it about rainy weather that always makes me crave a good bowl of hot soup? So for lunch I find myself making a cheddar potato soup with some diced tomatoes thrown in. Yum! It's like a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup in a bowl. Something else that I remember enjoying as a kid. Yummy!

The rain continues to patter on forming mini lakes, and small rivers. I think to myself I wish that this relaxing and quiet day would just go on and on. But I know the reality is that it can't which makes me treasure these quiet relaxing moments all that much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment