Monday, November 9, 2009

BOOT CAMP--Day 1-- Balance Issues?


This morning I discovered just how lousy I am with my balance. It's a mystery how I am able to balance thousands of miles on skinny bike tires but I can barely stay upright with both feet on the ground trying to do lunges with 4 lb. weights in my hands. There were more than a few moments during my first 5:30AM Boot Camp that I almost toppled over. I was actually glad when we went to the floor and started doing what felt like 5000 sit ups; at least I didn't have to worry about falling over in front the 7 other com padres.


I being the ever prepared and never want to be late person that I am set out early to where the boot camp was being held. I was pumped, and was wearing my new tech t-shirt from the Chasing Tail 5K Run. But maybe I was being prepared and pumped a little too much? I even showed up before the teacher! I showed up at 5:10AM with not a soul in the parking lot. 5 minutes later the teacher showed and unlocked the door. The teacher said she never slept before a first class. It's like the first day of school; she told me. I laughed and told her that I had to force myself to go to bed at 10:30PM last night so that I could be up early but I still found I couldn't sleep past 3:30AM. I'm an insomniac at heart. She laughed and we chatted until the more of my "classmates" started to stumble in around 5:25AM.


She had us start by high knee running in place. Try as I might I couldn't get my knees very high. Then, running with our knees out to the sides. Now this I could do very well. Though, I'm sure I didn't appear very lady like while I was doing this. I felt like I was pretending to ride a horse; all I needed was the cow girl hat! HEEHAW! We then proceeded into a couple of more exercises to get the hearts beating. With that very well accomplished and sweat running down my forehead we proceed into the squat/lunges routine, and I discovered I have no sense of balance. I kept looking at Diane and mentioning that I was having "balance issues". She laughed. I couldn't help but laugh and continue to make comments (in between trying to JUST breathe) about how do I manage to balance on a bike. The physics were astounding! The teacher even chuckled a little.


I did manage all the way through my first Boot Camp. Though I will say I was taking the easy versions that she was showing us as the class went on. She would show us the middle ground of the exercise, and then the extreme variety of it that would require real strength and REAL balance (which I would just roll my eyes at Diane about--as if ever I could do that.) Then She would show us the easy version. Towards the end of the Boot Camp, all that I could manage was the EASY version. I really felt like I was out of shape after surviving that class.


I had spoken to the teacher a few days prior to this first Boot Camp, that I had never done something like this before. I mentioned that I had concerns that I might not like it. She said that if after the first class I didn't like it; that she would refund the whole amount I paid. So here I was after class, barely standing upright on solid ground, and she asks what I think. This would have been the prime time to venture out of the situation, and dumb me! Nope, as I'm feeling every muscle in my body scream. I say I'll see her Wednesday morning. What the H&*@*^^# was I thinking!?!??? I'm blaming a lack of oxygen to my brain... But so there will be more torture in my future. Wednesday's Boot Camp? Yoga and Pilates! Yikes! ( I hope most of which are on the floor.)

No comments:

Post a Comment