Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Foot Closer to New Zealand?!!?

I woke up this morning to discover that New Zealand is now a foot closer to Australia. WHAT?!? It was the first thing I heard on the talk radio station that I wake up to. Well, I had to check this out on-line, of course. Gee, it turns out that it’s true! On July 15th there was a 7.8 earthquake that took place in New Zealand and now part of its southern island is a foot closer to Australia. I’m not too sure if those New Zealand er’s like being a foot closer to those Aussies, but there’s still almost 1400 miles between them. So I imagine they’ll be okay. I hate to think of them being up in arms.

Wow, and here I thought the expression of “it’s a small world” was just a reference to technology making our world smaller. But what if, our world is getting smaller? Imagine it getting smaller and smaller very slowly over time. I know, I know this sounds like “Chicken Little” with the sky is falling; and I will admit to taking this train of thought a little too far and probably to the point of absurdity. BUT I will admit that I rather find this fun to do from time to time.

What if? Oh, those wonderful “what if’s”! But I continue to ponder what if all of this global warming is shrinking our planet. It’s kind of like that favorite cotton shirt that was left in the dryer too long. It shrank a little but it’s still wearable. I would prefer to think of our planet shrinking at this smaller, milder, and slower rate. Preferable to the idea of it going faster like those plastic shrinky dinks that I remember coloring and then putting in the oven as a kid. Hey! It’s the incredible shrinking planet!! It gives the movie "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" a whole new angle, don't you think?

But more than anything what amazes me is.... (You're gonna love this) Is that I didn't do a darn thing last night and this morning I woke up and I'm either a foot closer or a foot further from New Zealand. It's sort of like a different version of those ads where you earn money as you sleep. Only in this instance I woke up a foot closer to New Zealand! Hey, possibly more if you consider the earth is shrinking! Gee, am I playing with a full deck of cards? Yes, I know some of you may be wondering!!

No comments:

Post a Comment