Monday, April 18, 2011

A Weekend of Biking & Ballet...


My cycling buds, Diane & Kym,
during an Emigration Canyon ride last year.
 It turned out to be a wonderful weekend. Though, I will admit I had my concerns as it dawned cloudy and rainy early Saturday morning. I had planned on biking 60 miles Saturday morning. I arrived early at the place where the club bike ride was supposed to start. I some how had it on my brain that the club ride started at 8:30AM but it was 9AM. Oppps! While I waited I chatted with mom on the phone. It was lightly drizzling on my windshield as I waited but the weather really cleared up shortly after we started the bike ride. My friends, Diane & Kym, barely arrived in time. In fact, we left after almost everyone else had taken off, and Diane was still shaking from Kym’s back seat driving as they were rushing to get to the ride’s starting location. They had to have the “Human GPS” (Me) out there to make sure they didn’t get lost. So I lead the way and made a couple of scenic off shoots. We ended up cutting the ride a bit short because Kym was concerned about getting home and doing some studying. I know I could’ve gone on but I wasn’t in the mood to bicycle by myself.


Later that night, I was off to the ballet. It was Ballet West’s Bolero with Sinfonietta & Chaconne and the last night of it’s showing at the Capital Theater. We arrived early to sit in on the “talk” about the ballet. The art director, himself, Adam Sklute, talked about the ballet that we would see. Normally, it’s quite often a Ballet West student that gives these talks. It was very informative and fascinating to get in sight as to what you were about to watch. It really made me appreciate the ballet all that much more. I guess they do this prior to most of the ballets, and I would recommend you take advantage of the opportunity if you go to a ballet.



The ballet started out with the Sinfonietta which was joyous dance with almost an Olympic celebration flare. The back drop was an impression of mountains disappearing into the distance and the dancers were quite often dancing and leaping with out-stretched arms; almost welcoming in the feel of patriotic exuberance.


Next was the Chaconne which was classical courtly ballet with the beautiful graceful lines and poses. I was amazed with this in the unity of the dancers. Watching almost 20 pairs of feet moving in unison was just mind boggling and amazing. I found myself captured up in the dance so much that I almost forgot to breathe.

Alison DeBona and RexTilton.  Photo by Jesse Coss.
Photo from Ballet West's website of the FABULOUS Bolero Ballet!



The third part of this ballet was the Bolero which is set to the Ravel’s pulsating beat. The curtain opened to metal coragated panels; an industrial like setting. Dancers were weaving around and behind the panels. As more of the panels disappeared to above stage area, more dancers came onto the stage. The abandon of the dance built. As all the panels disappeared the dancers weaved around each other climaxing in the pure seduction and power of the dance. Meanwhile, a huge red panel of fabric was dropping down the back center stage. The beat ended with a male dancer grabbing and holding up a female dancer within the red fabric. I was on my feet! Wow~!

No comments:

Post a Comment