Friday, April 29, 2011

Weighing In & Sunset Boulevard

It’s been two weeks since I’ve weigh in. I was hesitant to step on the scale this morning for fear of what I would see. But GREAT news, I’m down 3 lbs.! YAHOO! That brings me down a total of …. (Drum roll, please)…18 lbs. Little by little, pound by pound, I’m working at it. Lately, I’ve been receiving comments from friends and co-workers that I’ve been looking skinnier and it really makes me feel good. Clothes have been fitting loser which quite often I feel is the REAL test if you are losing weight. But I’m not ready to go shopping yet. I still have another 14 lbs. to reach my goal weight. I’m past that halfway point.




Last night, I got to see the preview of Pioneer Theatre’s “Sunset Boulevard”. Years ago, I had seen the black & white 1950 version with William Holden and Gloria Swanson. I vaguely remembered the story line. But this was a treat. To see it live on stage, in full color, and with live music played that was written by Andrew Lloyd Webber. I would recommend it to anyone in the Salt Lake City area who enjoys the live theatre to go see it.



The cast did an amazing job, especially the actress that played the role of Norma Desmond. But what really held me in awe about the whole affair were the set design and the costumes. The costumes of various extras and Norma Desmond’s costumes were colorful and vibrant. They spoke of the glamour and fun of the time.

Norma Desmond's role was
played wonderfully!


The set design was really amazing. They used a series of drop down and roll on designs that moved seamlessly along and kept the story and action moving along. I especially loved the inside of Norma Desmond’s house. It was elaborate with a balcony at top (where Norma would quite often make a show stealing entrance) with stairs leading off down to a landing where a door was (serving as an on-stage entrance). Then more stairs to lead to the bottom level where furniture was placed. I got lost in the wallpaper and the little details like light fixtures and furniture material that fit the time period to a “T”. Someone had done their homework and put some work into it. It showed! If you get the chance, GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment