Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Reading Goal of 60...

Last year I set my sights on reading 60 books in the year, and I came pretty close.  I read 58 total over the year.  This year, I would like to set 60 as the goal and hope I get very close.  But I’m off to a bit of a slow start.


I managed to read a couple of quick books that were less than 350 pages.  But it’s the most recent thick one that REALLY slowed down my starting pace for the year.  I just got done reading the 1000+ paged “World Without End” by Ken Follett.  At about ¾ of the way through the book, I started to refer to it as the “Book Without End”. 


My first clue should have been that a friend just handed over this book and said it was not their type of book but maybe I would like it.  Not that it was badly written but I think it was a BIG book that should have been broken into several books.  There were quite a few instances where the book could have ended but no such luck.  You turn the page and there was the start of a new chapter.  It was the never ending story; kind of like the movie but without the irritating music.  Yesterday when I got done reading, it was like the ending was anticlimactic!  It was like the bad after taste left over from something bad I ate.  Ugh!


This morning, I started a new book, No. 4 for the year, “The Art of Racing in the Rain” by Garth Stein and I was almost bawling my eyes out after the first chapter.  Now this is a book, and it was after lunch today that I find myself already starting on Chapter 11.  It’s a captivating story and it’s going to be a quick read for me. If you are a “dog” person this is definitely a book you can relate to. 


It is written from the perspective of a dog named Enzo who is philosopher with nearly a human soul.  In fact, in his next life Enzo is convinced that he’ll come back as a human.  I can tell that this book is going to be an emotional rollercoaster for me because of my love of dogs.  But so far, it has been an enjoyable read and a page turner.  I guess for my next book choice, I’ll need to choose something lighter.

Well, that's 3.5 down AND ONLY 56.5 books to go in 10.5 months!  She-esssh! No Problem-o!

No comments:

Post a Comment