Monday, August 20, 2012

A Dream Begins...


Soon I’ll be starting the first leg of I’ve come to refer to as a “US Tour”.  It’s been a dream that’s been at the back of mind for years.  When I explain what I’m doing, I’ve had all kinds of reactions from surprise, to being an inspiration, to “you’re crazy”, and “you’ve got some balls, girl!”(My boss)  I’ve even had it referred to as a “female mid-life crisis”. (Thank you Popette)

So what is it that I’m exactly doing you might ask.  I’m about to enter into a new exploration of the USA’s lower states – just my car, my bike, & myself.  Basically, I’m quitting my job and entering into a nomadic lifestyle.  The plan is to do this for 2 years and to travel at random.  There’s no set time though I am thinking of starting in the Pacific Northwest and heading south along the coast to start with.  Yeah, maybe I am crazy.  I’ve been saving for 4 years and am downsizing to a car.  I’m really doing what is the opposite of people when they reach their 40’s.

But I want to travel the US and see sites, landmarks, National Parks, and etc. while I’m still young enough and physically able to enjoy it.  I had originally planned on being 42 years old when I started this voyage.  But I got side tracked with bicycle accidents and other things.  I wasn’t able to saving as much as I thought I could and now three years later things have kind of aligned and fallen into place.
Photo- from Farewell Party- Lynda, Paul, Curt, and Kym.
It just now feels right to do it.  I will admit that I felt like my life has been in a bit of a holding pattern for the last couple of years.  I’ve felt like I’ve been in a stalemate and walls have been closing in on me.  So here I am 3 years later and it seems as though everything has finally come to formation.  I have enough in savings, my lease was up, and that maintenance issue.  Well, that maintenance issue was an infestation of bed bugs in my apartment building.  I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy but in the process of which has happened to have wiped me out of a great deal of clothes, bedding, and furniture.  Currently, everything I own fits in a small 5’ x 5’ storage unit and my car. 
Photo- from Farewell Party- Dana, Art, Wes, and myself.

So this last week I went in and quit my job.  I was somewhat surprised by them taking it so well; enough, so that they are doing a going away luncheon.  When I sat my boss down and told him what I was doing it seemed rather interesting.  I thought maybe he might have been in shock.  It seemed like every other line that came out of his mouth was—“you’ve got some balls girl” or “you’ve got some BIG kahuna’s!”  I rather had a hard time keeping a straight face.  I don’t think he knew what to think of what I was doing.

Photo- Diane, Kym, and myself.
This last Saturday night a few of my cycling buds had put together a going away party.  Several of my friends that showed up had given me gift cards for me to use on my voyage.  It was good to see everyone and to get a chance to say good bye too.  You see, yes I have a storage unit here in SLC, but I’m not too sure where I’ll end up when the two years are up. 
Photo- Julia, Myself, and Penny.


So this Tuesday morning, I start on the first leg of my adventure.  I shall keep you posted here.

2 comments:

  1. wow..... I'm jealous! adventures awaits you. Can't wait to read all about it. If you get to New York, I'd love to take you for a bike ride (I live in the northern suburbs of nyc) or meet you for lunch in Bryant Park (I work across the street). Good luck and please share your stories on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly-
    Thanks you and I maybe getting ahold of you in the future-- a bicycle ride in NYC sounds GREAT! I'm getting ready to write about my first day. I'm looking forward to ALL kinds of possibilities.
    -J

    ReplyDelete