Friday, August 24, 2012

DAY 3-- On Whigby Island...


I woke up around 6AM to the pure sound of silence.  It’s so peaceful here at this Wildwood FarmBed & Breakfast.   In fact, I felt like my heart rate fell just as I drove down the valley where the B&B is located.  It’s surrounded by evergreen forests and there are large fenced off areas with pastures.  Horses and a few colts are frolicking around the pastures.  It’s just amazing.

I took a walk in the morning around the B&B with Otis; an older dog that resides at the B&B.  Of course, Otis wanted me to throw his rubber squeaking toy in the shape of a female chicken with a bathing suit on.  I said okay but I throw like a girl.  He didn’t seem to mind.  After a few throws then he started leading me off on a tour of the farm.  He would lead the way and then stop.  He would take a look over his shoulder as if to say, “Well, are you coming or what?”  So I followed Otis around and he led me on a loop around some of the Pastures.  I even got to pet and talk with a couple of horses along the way.

Shortly after returning from my walk breakfast was ready.  Another AMAZING thing about the Wildwood Farms is the breakfast.  It started out with fresh ground strong coffee just the way I like it.  Then apiece of raspberry sweet bread; followed by vanilla yogurt with granola topped with fresh black berries.  Then it was a waffle (You KNOW how I LOVE my waffles!) that was served up with a homemade black berry syrup.  Also, served was breakfast potatoes and bacon.  I was a bit disappointed that my stomach wasn’t larger because it was all SO good.

About mid breakfast, as I sitting there eating and watching the horses frolic in the pasture, a fog literally rolls in.  The B&B owner told me that it was the marine layer and that’s what keeps the temperatures so mild here.  He went on to explain that it usually will “burn off” as the day goes on. It will last anywhere from an hour to 8 hours depending on the time of year.

I went on talking with the owner.  He bought the property about 18 years ago as an investment.  His daughters, all three now grown; started taking horse riding lessons.  “Well, one thing led to another and this,” he pointed out to the pastures around,” is the result.” The horse part of the farm basically breaks even at best, but it is the B&B and horse tack/clothing/gifts store that keeps things really going.  I guess that as of tomorrow evening I will not be the only guest at the B&B.  They have had most of the summer weekends this year booked solid, and I can understand.  If you are up this way and need a relaxing place to stay…this would be ideal!

Shortly after breakfast the fog lifted and I managed to get out for a bike ride.  It was a bit chilly and windy. There’s a great deal of rolling hills on the Island and a bike ride is a workout.  It was just what I needed after that breakfast.  I managed a little over 20 miles and rode north from the B&B to Dugualla Bay with some beautiful views.  It was wonderful and I only had 4 stop signs along the route that I took; almost like a biker’s paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment